Buildings of Interest
Truro is home to what has been described as "the finest examples of Georgian architecture west of Bath". This mixed in with the city's glorious Gothic-style cathedral, the iconic Courts of Justice building and modern office blocks along Malpas Road make Truro's architectural scene both eclectic and spectacular.
Truro Cathedral stands at the heart of Cornwall's main retail and administrative centre; the focal point of the city. The architect chosen was John Loughborough Pearson who had to create a Cathedral in the centre of a busy town. In order to do this the parish Church of St Mary’s was partly demolished leaving only the south aisle that still serves as a parish church.
Truro Cathedral is relatively young at 125 years old. The foundation stone was laid by the then Duke of Cornwall, and future Edward VII, on 20th May 1880. It was the first new Anglican Cathedral to be built in this country for well over 600 years since Salisbury had been begun in 1220.
Its three magnificent spires, Victoria, Edward and Alexandra soar heavenwards dominating the city's skyline. http://www.trurocathedral.org.uk/
An attractive building at High Cross which was once Truro's centre for elegant entertainment. It was built in life 1787, Wedgewood plaques on the building's facade show playwrights Shakespeare, Garrick and Thalia.
Designed by architects Evans & Shalev, the people behind the Tate St Ives, Truro's Crown Courts are based at the top of Edward Street on the site of an original 12th century, Norman castle.
The Italianate town hall was designed by Christopher Eales and built in 1846. It houses the Municipal Buildings, where Truro City Council sits, as well as the Hall for Cornwall and the Tourist Information Centre.
The current building was built as the Cornish Bank in 1848 on the site of the old Coinage Hall that stood here from 1351 where twice yearly tin was brought here to be assayed and taxed.
Take time to wander through the peaceful Walsingham Place off Victoria Square, a spot much loved by the poet laureate John Betjeman. The architect of this beautiful Georgian terrace is thought to be Philip Sambell.
With its attractive Georgian architecture, Lemon Street was built to provide easy access into Truro for the Quiksilver mail coaches from Falmouth but also in honour of William Lemon.